Old 10-03-12, 01:42 PM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Why not denigrate a touring bike for something that is, in my opinion, a wrong choice given the current state of the technology?
Because it is a vintage bike clone. It is like passing comment on a fur coat because it isn't performance wise a Gortex and down jacket. People have other reasons for buying fur. Those are open to criticism, but not because they failed to keep up with the lattest tech.

I'm comfortable with Cantis, I have pretty much owned, and can work on all the other options, but I like cantis. At a certain point I don't care whether they make something better. An electric brake, might turn me off, but a hydro system for road, might get me hot. I just happen to like cantis. So what would turn my crank would be a road lever that was worthy of my Paul cantis, or better cabling. There are always ways to make something better. And there is only so much time to try other stuff out.

Some people just like threaded. There are solutions to many of the problems like the Chris King Gripnut, maybe. Folks who used to ride an old bike and now have a ton of money, might get a kick out of outfitting it with all the familliar stuff, but made to a level of candy that they never could have imagined back in the day. That makes some people happier than buying today's improved cheap crap. They could buy the improved stuff in candy form, but they aren't invested enough in that to get anything out of it.

CC, Why don't you like disc brakes?