View Single Post
Old 10-04-12, 09:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockfish
Wow. Just. Wow. Very impressive chaadster!

I'd almost worry that you'd be MORE likely to get hit when a passing driver tries to get his phone out to take a picture of you! Just kidding, of course!

Seeing this makes me wonder, though, if there isn't some benefit to making one's rig look more like a "vehicle" that a driver would understand as such. For example, drivers learn to recognize, and eventually instinctively understand, that 2 steady red lights mark the width of a vehicle from behind. Adding a third at the top center would be similar to the third brake light on a car - a convention that would get a driver's attention. B&M has some video on their web site proposing that their "Line" tail lights enable drivers to judge the distance to a cyclist much better then a point source light does. OF course, on a bike by itself, there's no way to get 2 points far enough apart to mimic car tail lights, so a line is the best you can do. On a trailer, you can get some horizontal seperation of lights.

Of course, too much visibility is always better then too little. Just thinking....
No, I hear ya, and I usually run the trailer/sidecar LEDs in steady red or simply flashing red modes. I'm a pretty extroverted guy, but the full, color and pattern flashing thing would be too much for even me to deal with every day!