Old 10-04-12, 01:55 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Different diesels than in US and different diesel fuel. And MASSIVE government subsidies of diesel fuel in Europe. So yes, a huge difference. Diesel is much more expensive. But the US needs to facilitate the high efficiency engines and fuels used in European diesel systems.
The diesel fuel sold in North America is required to be extra-low sulfur diesel. The stuff costs more than regular gasoline due to high demand, mostly from the commercial transportation industry (trucks, trains, marine diesel).

That said, my VW Jetta TDI with the turbocharged diesel engine and 6-spd manual transmission is WAY too much fun to drive. VW specializes in "clean diesel" engines, and you CANNOT smell any trace of diesel at the exhaust pipe. Plus, I'm getting at least 45 mpg with the TDI, compared with 26 mpg (highway) on my previous Subaru. I would have to refill the Sub at around 400 kmh. I start looking for diesel fuel stations at around 700 km with the TDI! (and I've still got a quarter tank left.)

But no, you should NOT buy a car with a diesel engine. Don't do it. You won't be happy. (plus it might raise the price of diesel, or make for longer waits for me at the diesel pump!)

Luis