Thread: In training
View Single Post
Old 10-05-12, 05:45 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Cranky, I was hoping to run into you yesterday. I was leading a ride for work. (Does that make me a pro cyclist?) Our route.

It was the second of our two Biking the Branches rides--this visiting the five branches on the west side. Every year the library's Finance Office organizes visits to the ten branch libraries as sort of an inspection tour by library finances, buildings and maintenance, and management, in order to prepare for next year's budget. We also invite along city officials from finance, architectural services, council, and the administration. It's all done by bike so everyone gets a real feel for the neighborhoods and how the libraries fit into them. (Only once did someone yell from a porch, "Are you guys lost?")

Yesterday, the Deputy Mayor tagged along. His ride of choice? A Rans V-Rex. Full kit and clipless. The DM is no poseur either. His gear all looked well used (and also well maintained). And he rode from home to the start of the ride. (Afterwards, I believe he rode to City Hall.)

North of 104, I had the pleasure--along with the Deputy Mayor--of dropping the rest of the pack. We rode along at a comfortable pace talking bikes, leaving those talking shop behind. After visiting the Charlotte Branch, I took the group up River St by the O'Rourke Bridge, where we picked up the Riverway trail back to downtown. The DM was no slouch on the climbs out of the river gorge either, despite riding the 'bent.

But all along there, every 'bent rider I saw in the distance I hoped was you. Sorry we missed you.