cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lavadisco
Sorry for the horrible necro-bump, but can somebody please clarify for a newbie who is thinking of getting a bent (but not a trike) - leg suck is a big issue with trikes only, right? On two-wheeled bent bikes it's not nearly as serious an issue? Thanks!
It is less of a problem with bikes than trikes. For long wheel based bikes with a low bottom bracket (and therefore low pedals), it can be a possibility. For both trikes and LWB bikes, people who don't want to use (very badly named) clipless pedals use heel slings to prevent their feet from slipping off of the pedals but are easier to get out of than being clipped in.

For whatever it is worth, before my recumbent (Cruzbike Sofrider), I never used clipless pedals (I had bought them but never got around to it). After 200 miles on my Sofrider, I started using clipless pedals and I found that it gives me much more control over the bike and I feel much more comfortable with them. Most people who use these pedals seem to have similar experiences.

Cheers,
Charles