View Single Post
Old 10-07-12, 10:16 AM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Winter SPD-SL Shoes

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a winter SPD-SL shoe. I commute through the winter, and it gets cold here; temps in the single digits (F) and windchills below zero are not uncommon. I ride in them, so I need a shoe that's very warm. I already have Lake MXZ shoes. I have been totally satisfied with how warm they are, but they aren't SPD-SL compatible. I would consider the Lake model that is but it seems Lake is no more.

I will be riding two bikes this winter and one has plain SPD pedals, so a shoe that is both SPD and SPD-SL would be the bee's knees - my Lakes are pretty wornn out, and my inclination is that an SPD-SL to SPD adapter wouldn't be as stable (comments on that?). But above all the shoe needs to be warm, at least comparable to Lake MXZ302s, so I'm willing to sacrifice dual compatibility if necessary.

So far I have found that the Sidi Hydro GTX and Northwave Celsius may work well. I like the styling on the Northwave, but obviously that's not one of the top considerations.

Any help, including sizing information, be appreciated. My "summer" shoes (Specialized for SL, Shimano for SPD) are both 44 and my winter Lakes are I believe 45. I used to have summer Sidis that were 44 and my feet seemed a little crammed in them. Thank you!