View Single Post
Old 10-08-12, 12:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Sites like bikely and mapmyride don't plan routes for you. You can search for routes that others have crerated, and you can take the route you have planned and map it, but the sites don't pick roads for you. Also, the elevation profiles can be far less than accurate. When they upgraded bikely something happened to what I thought was pretty good elevation data. I mapped out a 34 mile day of a planned 3-day tour at it gave me something like 10,000' of climbing. Being somewhat familair with the roads (including the fact that where bikely was showing climbs the route was basically flat), I knew immediately that the figure was grossly inaccurate. Wonder if they have made progress fixing that.

+1 on getting good paper maps and picking small roads. You can supplement that by looking at them in Google Street View to the extent they are show to check for things like paving and existence of shoulder. Then map the chose route on something like mapmyride to see the profile and creat a GPS file if desired.