View Single Post
Old 10-08-12, 03:29 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Originally Posted by turbo1889
This is a very interesting discussion for me since I just purchased a 3/4 style minimum DOT protection standards lightweight motorcycle helmet (looks like a jet fighter pilot helmet complete with same style visor just without the oxygen mask underneath) specifically to use this winter for bicycling mainly to keep my head warm compared to a bike helmet (no vents).

I specifically was looking for a motorcycle helmet with a visor and full head wrap around with no vents for warmth. But I though a full face with a chin bar across the bottom would be more likely to fog up in the cold especially the ones with pads in the front chin bar so the bottom of the helmet was nearly sealed up. On a bike you sweat when pumping unlike a motorcycle and I was and to a certain extent even with an open chin 3/4 helmet concerned about fog up on the visor but we shall see.

Considering the physical activity and the resulting body heat and moisture produced on a pedal powered cycle that isn't there with a motorcycle I'm wondering how much of a fog up problem those of you using a full face helmet are having. Yes, I know most if not all of the good helmets are supposed to be non-fogging but experience has taught me that only means fog-resistant at least with my experience with other stuff that is supposedly non-fogging besides helmet visors (ski goggles, sunglasses, etc . . . )
Hate to tell you, but that 3/4 helmet will be c-c-c-cold as the temps drop...

Google Fog City face shield. I hereby offer up positive testimonial that Fog City products to a great job keeping full face helmets from fogging. Only downside is that they don't play nice with polarized face-shields or glasses.
Colder then a conventional top cap only style bicycle helmet with vents? Surely it will be warmer then a top cap helmet especially one with big honking vent slits like a regular bicycle helmet? I'm still waiting for it to show up in the mail so I can try it out so you may know more then I but the visor-ed 3/4 helmets I tried on at the local harley dealer to figure out what I wanted before I ordered the same exact thing online for half the price sure felt like they would be warmer on my head especially to keep my ears warm. Stocking ski mask can only do so much and makes a regular bike helmet on top not fit exactly right.