I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by john gault
Anyone that has read these comments have, undoubtedly seen the back-and-forths between cyclists and anti-cyclists. What I've noticed is that some anti-cyclist person will complain about some cyclist blowing through a stop sign causing them to stop suddenly,
I never read of any motorist with the actual experience of having to stop suddenly due to a cyclist "blowing" a light or stop sign. I am sure it does happen occasionally, just like motorists have to stop suddenly for other motorists and pedestrians who are careless at intersections. The often repeated complaints on BF (and elsewhere) of the "problem" of cyclists "blowing" lights or stop signs, implying that it is done by adult cyclists without any concern for others approaching or in the the intersection, is mostly hot air rhetoric and Urban myth, IMO.

I have read often of self styled cyclist "advocates" making comments about motorists complaining about cyclists that don't stop at stop signs, regardless if it affected the motorist's driving.

These motorist comments are usually made in the same context of whining that cyclists don't pay for the roads and should be taxed, insured and licensed just like motorists, maybe even forced to wear helmets to teach them a lesson too.