View Single Post
Old 10-15-12, 10:31 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
For those people who have gone and live and in France:

Are there a lot of cars passing through these famous climbs? If so are they at least cautious about the cyclists?
I spent nearly 3 weeks there just riding through the French Alps from as far north as the Col de la Colombiere to the mediterranean coast. There are always a-Holes everywhere, but 99% of drivers around were light years ahead in courtesy to riders when compared to the US. Most of the very high passes were light in traffic, but some were surprisingly busy at times. I remember coming down the Colombiere doing 45-55 MPH at times. Shortly after starting the descend, there was a semi truck with 20+ cars behind me, but there was tons of traffic ahead too, so I couldn't just zip by either. As the traffic ahead disappeared, the truck stayed far behind me on purpose to give me all the room I needed. At times I thought they would he would get inpatient and try to overtake me, but never even came as close to trying even when he had plenty of room to do so. This went on for the entire descend. Overall, people there simply have a different view of cyclists and driving, so they act accordingly. Italy was similar in the high mountains like the Dolomites, but not so much in the more populated areas like around Lake Como. There, it is more like drivers in Miami on crack, on mountains, and with no brakes!!!