View Single Post
Old 10-15-12, 09:06 PM
beezaur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I'll just put on a cap when riding a couple miles to the grocery store . . .
Hey, knock yourself out (literally).

I just had a crash a month ago that left me with serious injuries from my head impacting pavement. Wasn't even going very fast. Had I not been wearing a helmet most likely I would have died and almost certainly would have been paralyzed and had severe brain damage.

Something funny about heads contacting pavement - even if you fall from a bike at a standstill, pavement wins.

As it was, my helmet took the brunt of the force and distributed the load across my cranium so that I did not have a broken skull.

I am visiting this forum so that I can increase my safety (which already was far above average). But encountering comments like this I wonder what is the point - obviously the site suffers significant influence from people who believe they are somehow immune to basic physics and make a hobby of intentionally misrepresenting math (like accident statistics) that they obviously don't understand anyway.

By the way, I am healing fast with the doctors saying I will make a full recovery in a couple of months. Again this is due to my wearing a helmet. If I was wearing your stylish cap I would probably still need help feeding myself, maybe permanently. As it is I am planning my return to cycling. I had the courage to mess my hair up by wearing a helmet, I guess.

So again, knock yourself out. I'm off to find a more reliable source of safety information.