View Single Post
Old 10-22-12, 01:37 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Yeah, I broadly agree with this, though frankly I don't give the UCI any credit. And the governing bodies of many other sports are worse, they simply choose to pretend the problem doesn't exist.

As for the juniors, the most depressing feature of the current scene, for me, is that doping appears to be increasingly widespread even in the amateur ranks, where virtually no money is at stake and many of the riders concerned have no prospect of advancing to the pros.
But whenever there is a trophy at the end (figuratively or actually) and bragging rights, people will do what they can to win. They can be their own Armstrong, Contador, Vinokourov or whomever in their own corner of the world.

And if they are too lazy to do the work, they'll take the next-best option. After all, despite signing the membership form to get their licence that contains drug-testing provisions, no-one tests at that level. Ever.

Incidentally, that's why I like randonneuring. You can go as fast as you like, but in the end you only get the same kudos as the bloke who finishes last and within the time limit.