View Single Post
Old 10-23-12, 07:04 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by not_me
Huh? I have both sets and the performance (and looks) are almost identical. Not to mention the king himself seemed to think the 105 slr brakes were the best single pivot ever made. http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sa-o.html#slr
There's most definitely a family resemblance but they're certainly not twins. The quick release, barrel adjuster and front nut are different. While I wouldn't call the New 105 toy like in appearance, the 600 Ultegra do look more upscale in all three areas of difference, though personally I prefer the finish on the new 105 arms.

The reason for the 105 's reputation is that they raised the bar so much compared to their contemporaries. Once the technology trickled up to 600 Ultegra and Dura-Ace they were no longer special, but they're more revered because they were first. (Everybody knows that Roger Bannister ran the first sub 4 minute mile but hardly anybody can name who ran the 2nd or 3rd.) Four years later, Shimano changed the playing field by bringing out dual-pivot, so single pivot technology pretty much died, with SLR being the last big improvement.

Some would argue that 105 SLR were best because they were first or offered indistinguishable performance at less weight and price. Conversely, some would argue that Dura-Ace SLR performed better and were more refined and durable. Some would even argue that Dura-Ace SLR is better just because it's more expensive and has snob appeal. All the arguments are valid, depending on how you define "best".