Old 10-26-12, 04:29 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief

I haven't bothered to read more about CAN-BIKE, but you allude that there is a distinction made between rural and "non-rural" roads in terms of lane width.... that seems odd, and maybe confusing for a student to digest. For me, I treat narrow lanes the same regardless of location (city/country), and your video makes that road look narrow enough that I would ride way left of the fogline.

You had the misfortune of encountering one knuckle-headed driver!

Information on CAN-BIKE is available here http://www.cyclingcanada.ca/resources/can-bike/

I dont necessarily disagree with your point of view. I do see the advantage of taking the lane. If motorists can wait for a farm tractor or backhoe then why not a cyclist?

The instructors are bound by what is in the MVA and cannot recommend techniques outside of what can be gleaned from the Motor Vehicle (Suggestion) Act. Liability issues.

As you know, most provinces and states say, "as far right as practicable." The CAN-BIKE program creators have deemed that rural cycling requires about 0.3m from the edge of the curb...but there IS no "curb" rather a fog line and pavement edge. I have never seen a cyclist take the lane extensively in a rural setting in Nova Scotia, other than to avoid an obstacle or turning left. Riding down the centre of the lane for 10, 40 100km is just not done here.

I think that any judge would deem this practice in violation of "as far right as practicable".

I've attached the CAN-BIKE sections from the Student Handbook regarding standard, narrow, extra-wide lanes as well as rural riding.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
narrow-lane.jpg (94.8 KB, 5 views)
standard-lane.jpg (95.3 KB, 4 views)
xwide-lane.jpg (85.8 KB, 4 views)
rural-riding.jpg (89.6 KB, 5 views)