View Single Post
Old 11-01-12, 08:56 AM
blue_cheese

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I picked up my "Dual Sport" 2012 8.4 DS, I also looked at the Norco XFR 2 and Giant Roam XR2 , I consider them the same class of bike. It seems that "Hybrid" is an even more general term. The lower end of these bikes do not have suspensions either.

Apparently these bikes are "compromises", but as I am neither a hardcore road biker and nor do I have practical daily access to actual mountains, going to the local conservation area on my bike constitutes my road and trail ride experience for the day. My criteria was: no upright seating like"comfort/cruiser", front and back hydraulic disc brakes, having both climb and road gear, and a front suspension. Having a good/comfy fit was also key. I am no expert rider and just like to have fun on my bike, I used to ride the cheap $150 wallmart bikes and wanted a more refined experience. I was after a bike that can take the abuse my abusive riding style while having a more refined road feel and being able to pick up speed. I sometimes also lug around 2 kids in a trailer on paved, gravel, and packed dirt paths and am definitely very happy with the Trek DS and I am sure I would have been just as happy with the other bikes. As for speed, on my solo bike rides along the bike path/road that I take twice a week over a 20km ride, I am averaging 27km/h (16.875 mph), the flat parts I can easily cruise at 35km/h (21.875 mph) and downhill is 47km/h (29.375 mph), the climbs vary on how steep they are and how tired I am .

I found the Norco to be the best value, but as stupid as it sounds I missed the ergo grips, it also felt the most "squishy" even with the fork locked out. I couldn't tell a tangible difference in the ride/feel between the Giant Roam XR and the 8.4DS and was generally indifferent to which bike I got.

Really the the most compelling reason for the Trek was the 2 bike discount we got for buying from the same dealer, My wife loved the Trek Verve and wouldn't budge on her decision. The Trek dealer also had the kid trailer on clearance and was willing to further extend the discount to the trailer. So 2 bikes + trailer made most sense there.