View Single Post
Old 08-19-05, 12:57 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I do not understand why people would purchase a folder if they want to treat it like a nonfolding, regular bike and leave it outside exposed to vandals, possible theft, and the weather. Personally, I take a cable lock with me. I also always fold it and carry it with me in any store or indoor enviroment I visit. If I feel that the bike is not allowed inside with me-I take my business elsewhere or I leave the bike at home at my discresion. I am very protective of my belongings yet I still aware that others probably don't share my feeling.
Agreed.

I used to leave my Dahon Piccolo outside with the New York 3000. That lock was tampered with several times as crooks tried to cut it but failed. If this were a Bike Friday, Birdy or Brompton, I would never even think of locking it anywhere. My Piccolo is only $329.00 an fairly expendable.

The reason I moved away from a folder was this very reason. A bicycle you leave outside has to be junker. I stopped riding my folder and actually preferred a 27' inch wheel hybrid. Having to carry a 28 pound bicycle around a shopping mall draws attention and leaves you in a self inflicted bath of sweat! A day later, your arm, neck and shoulder are hurting. There are plenty of stores that don't want a folder inside and you really can't walk very far with it so you have to leave it outside.