View Single Post
Old 11-03-12, 11:33 AM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrecoi
That hole behind the chainring is for a chaincase, usually they are threaded for a 1/4" Whitworth screw. If you managed to obtain a Raleigh chaincase, you are in luck, you remove the right crank, and fit the chaincase on with the screw, and you are set and in business.

Yellow Jersey sells chaincases that are rather compatible, the only catch is that you'll have to carefully measure and drill out the corresponding hole in the chaincase yourself, oh and do some careful bending to quiet down any rubbing. These can be freely stripped and repainted to match the Huffy's color.

The BB oiler is really useful to anyone who does not want to touch cotters, just add some oil and any gunk that has been building up will flush out. Just don't oil it over carpet! Regularly oiling it will keep the BB very smooth, I opened the BB on my Raleigh Sports, and the bearing surfaces were in NOS condition. The front hub will also have an oiling port, covered in a campagnolo style circlip.
My chaincase from Yellow Jersey had the hole in it.

http://graywolfphoto.com/journal/200...getting-there/

In the second photo you can just see it next to the strap I used to mount my chaincase. In fact that chaincase had the threaded holes for strap mounting and the simple hole for mounting it to the braze in if your bike had it.

I think I was the first one here on BF to report using a YJ chaincase. I was lucky to get a black one that matched my Dunelt pretty closely.

The standard oil in the day (mid-1950's) was #20 auto oil. I keep intending to put oil nipples on my bike. I am trying to make it as much like the Dunelt I had when I was a kid. By 1965 when the one I have now was made they had cheapened it quite a bit. No longer had the gold penstriping, for example, and the oil ports were gone. Of course back then it did not have the alloy rims and the BMX front hub I have on my current one. I really ought to do some updated photos.

Added: You can probably chase that hole out to 1/4x24 SAE from the 1/4x26 Whitworth.

Last edited by graywolf; 11-03-12 at 11:43 AM.