Old 11-05-12, 06:52 PM
AbundantChoice

Bikes: modified Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My (newish) Long Haul Trucker is almost done. Introducing 'Giles Cory'

So I actually got it two months ago (at a steep discount from my LBS since it's a few years old), and have been tinkering with it since to get it dialed in. And... it's almost there!

I have named this bike Giles Cory after the man in the Salem witch trials who refused to enter a plea of innocent or guilty. To force him to enter a plea, they put him in a pit and placed heavy stones on his chest, and rather than plead, he would simply reply "MORE WEIGHT!" as more stones were placed on him, eventually crushing him to death. Felt appropriate for a Clyde bike =)

So far...
-Swapped the POS saddle it comes with for... dun dun dunnnn... the B33! The tractor of Brooks seats! It looks slightly silly, but it rides like a *dream*; it's all the suspension i'll ever need. The only annoying thing is you *have* to use a pipe-post seatpost, the triple-rail design means you can't use seat sandwiches to put it on a modern seatpost. Still.. soooo comfy. When the current black cork handlebar tape gets janky, i'm going to replace it with tape that matches the saddle.
- I've put a different (larger angle, and longer) stem on it. Yeah, it should be silver; i'll probably use the stem swap at the LBS to get a silver one sooner or later
- Swapped the POS pedals that came with it for MKS Lambda pedals and some tiny spacers. Love these pedals!
- Threw a Topeak mtx rack on the back; have one of the MTX 'lock-in' bags for it, and also got a pair of Arkel Shopper panniers that I am a huge fan of and use way more than the MTX lock-in bag these days.
- Planet bike "Cascadia" fenders. Yeah, they fit like crap at the moment; i'm putting 2" Marathon tires on it in a month or two and will fit the fenders better at that point. Very tempted to pinstripe them in the Truckacino color of the frame.

I am very enamored of these pedals. I have big clodhopper feet and these work perfectly.

And yeah, I got a cheesy custom engraved cap with my motto on it.

So my other bike that i've been riding is a Redline Monocog 29er MTB. Which I still like, and it's fun to take on trails. But even with a slight cog-swap that thing pedals out at around 11-12mph. Rediscovering gears has been fun; this thing is so much faster and hills are so much easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LHT_GIlesCory1.jpg (103.8 KB, 96 views)
MKS_Lambda.jpg (101.5 KB, 48 views)
abhbas2.jpg (53.7 KB, 66 views)