View Single Post
Old 11-06-12, 01:49 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well it arrived. Not so impressed.

The frame seems OK, and it has horizonat dropouts so could be converted to an IG hub. The tires are Kenda Kwick 20x2.0, which I think are a mid-grade tire. The rest of the components are the cheapest stamped steel junk I can imagine. So the frame, tires, and carry bag are on the plus side. The components are on the minus, unless you were planing on upgrading them anyway.

At $266 + sales tax, I don't know whether I am going to keep this. It ought to do to bop around town, and a couple of hundred bucks would make it a kind of nice bike. I was kind of thinking of replacing the rear hub with a SA 8sp with drum brake and the front with a drum brake hub (I don't know if you can get a narrow drum brake hub, or would have to replace the fork to do that). The rear dropouts look to be 135mm. I had already planed on using my Brooks B66 on it.

I do know that if I had paid $350-400 shipped, what most sites are selling it for, I would be really upset.

How does it ride? I do not know, I need to tune it up first, the front spokes are too loose and everything else needs adjusting. Besides that it is snowing out there right now.

I wrote a more realistic review of this Kettler Verso Cologne on amazon.com. 3-stars instead of the 5-star ones already there. And I put up a first impressions post on my "Subject to Change" blog, and will probably do a detailed review later.