Old 11-07-12, 10:44 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Bike Envy

Ok - I've suffered from road bike envy before, but it's really bad this time.

My co-worker and I biked home the other night together. He has an arsenal of 3 bikes - two hybrids, and road bike (brand new Specialized Allez). When he's riding his hybrids, I can easily pass him and put some distance between us. However, last night he was on his road bike, and it felt like I was riding with Lance Armstrong.

Depending on which path I take, my average speed will run anywhere between 18-22mph on flat(ish) surfaces. When I rode in front, that's about what I averaged, however, when he rode in front - the average speed went up to like 25+mph. The only reason I could keep up was because I was drafting him like crazy. What gives !??!?

I ride a 2011 Sirrus Elite - with tires upgraded from 700x28's to 700x26's, and different pedals which has helped my overall average speed and top speed tremendously. He's running 700x23's and general road bike geometry.

Do I just need to man up and ride harder? Or is it time to buy a road bike and spandex just to keep up with Lance?

One last thought - I always love annihilating roadies on the commute in to work. Especially the ones that are all superman'd/spandex'd out with full carbon everything. I generally ride in an old sweatshirt/gym shorts/big backpack. By switching gears and going all road - is that going start sucking the fun out of commuting - because it will be an all out race?

All input appreciated.