View Single Post
Old 11-08-12, 12:47 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Front Brake Problem - What Am I Missing?

Rehabbing an '88 Trek 360 for our youth pastor. It was a CL giveaway and everything looked original except the front wheel. Finished everything but the brakes and ran into a problem. The front brake cable was sticking. Pull the lever, brakes activate. Release the lever, lever spings back fully and caliper immediately releases part way then slowly releases the rest of the way. On the lever end, you can see the cable tip is no longer seated when the lever is released then slowly seats back in place.

Original was Diacompe calipers and aero levers with original cable and housing. Started replacing things till nothing original is still there except handlebars and mechanic (me). Now have Tektro caliper, Shimano cable/housing and Pyramid aero lever (stuff I had laying around) and the problem is exactly the same. I've taped the housing tightly to the bars with strapping tape while the cable was under tension and have all bends as gradual as possible but the problem persists.

Frustrated, I decided to swap out everything for the rear brake (Tektro caliper, Bell housing/cable and Pyramid aero lever) and it set up perfectly on the first try. What am I missing?