View Single Post
Old 11-08-12, 03:27 PM
FBinNY

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
No resistance felt in caliper itself - opened smoothly when released - but oiled it anyway. Don't feel any friction when moving cable within housing. Same symptoms when I untaped it. Same symptoms before and after replacing everything.

I did install new cable and housing but think I may need to look for something with even less friction. Just strange that the rear, with a much longer run (all in housing), works beautifully with the cheap Bell cable & housing (Walmart $5 for full set of cables type) but front is sticking with new Shimano housing and cable.

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll spring for some high-end cable & housing and hope that solves it..
It's almost unheard of for front brakes to bind because of cable friction, especially with new cables. Look for misalignment or bad ferrules, or friction in the caliper itself. It's also possible that the caliper has a weak or binding spring, so check that thoroughly before shelling out for new cables which probably won't solve it.