View Single Post
Old 11-09-12, 03:59 AM
Bosock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 26 FS stumpjumper and a 29er hardtail...I hate to say the same ole same ole...but it comes down to the type of trails you enjoy and the riding you do. If you like rocky rough trails with some drops, rock gardens etc then a FS no doubt. When I go to the ski resorts and take the lift...the FS hands down ....FS is so much like butter on those trails compared to the HT's teeth chattering bumpy decent. Now the trails closer to my house are mostly packed single track with limited rock parts and a lot of flat non-technical climbing. The FS is overkill on those trails and though several people say you can lock out your shocks and climb just as well on a FS...i tend to disagree. You still have the added weight of the FS system and on hard pack the HT has always seemed to be more efficient...now on more technical climbs the FS (not locked out) is what i prefer. So pending the type of riding you do I would gauge which to choose from. If you're on mostly flat single tracks with climbing or not, and this will be what most of your riding will consist of, then why go the extra expense or weight of the FS. However, if you ride more technical trails, even as much as 25-30 percent of the time, can afford the extra cost of a decently equipped FS, as i think a good equipped hardtail is better than a poorly equipped FS, then i would say FS hands down. It is better to overkill the calmer trails then not get the benefit of the FS on technical trails. I think the 29er vs 26er is more preference than anything...good marketing is what leads several of us to upgrade from our 26ers to the 29er and now 2750. What i have found is both have there advantages. I chose 26 as i fit into the cockpit better and I liked the perceived strengths of the 26er over the 29er. The 29er FS rolls better and picks up speed quicker (downhill specially)...bigger wheels help climbing. However, the trails i ride have switchbacks, winding decents, and several spots where you come out of a sharp turn into a steep climb. I can barrel down the decents faster and more comfortable on a 26 than i could a 29er. Also, what i noticed is on gradual climbs when you can get going the 29er did climb well and shined...but when you had to accelerate quickly or go into a steep climb without any momentum I seemed to do better on the 26. This is my preference. The person a ride with, who is like 6'3"...seems to favor the characteristics of the 29er. He likes how it rolls better and doesnt mind the litte more forcefull handling in winding decents...he also felt more comfortable in the 29er cockpit. So why did I get the 29er HT. Well for some reason i fit into the cockpit a lot better in the HT then i did the FS...I also felt alot more comfortable on it then the FS counterpart. Like I said the trails i ride on consists of long flat single track climbs that does not require the same agility coming down as the more technical trails i ride. To be honest, just wanted a different ride feel when i mixed it up. Like both bikes, they have their strengths and both excel in the right conditions. Your decision truly rests with what type riding you do and your preferences. Hope this info helped...I would say take a good look at what areas or type of riding you plan to do...take your time determine what bike you are more comfortable on as far as fit and feel...and I would also say take budget into consideration...If your budget only allows you to go very basic entry level FS with low end front and back shock...then you may be better off going with HT as the same amount of money will get you more bike. Well that is my 2 cents here...hope it helps...good hunting...let us know what you decided.

Last edited by Bosock; 11-09-12 at 04:04 AM.