Old 11-10-12, 06:24 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How big an issue is road glass with Nokian A10's?

This is my first winter for bicycle commuting. I bought a pair of Nokian A10 studded tires (32-622). The A10's looked like the best match for my intended use - keeping me upright on patchy ice in an area (Springfield, IL) when water re-freezes on the pavement, while being somewhat better on rolling resistance on pavement I will be traveling the other 95% of the winter. We get snow, but not anything like Chicago.

The more I think about it, I am wondering about having to worry more about glass on the streets. I have been commuting with Kenda tires with Kevlar puncture resistance, and in 800 miles commuting so far, I have had zero punctures on the Kendas. I don't even look for glass actively anymore, it is just not a concern, the kevlar makes it a non-issue.

The A10's do not have kevlar. There is beer bottle glass occasionally on the streets I ride. I figure that glass will now be an issue once I switch to the A10's. Does anybody have any direct experience with these tires that they could share?

Staying upright on ice trumps getting flats for priority, so I will switch to the A10's when ice becomes a possibility. Just wondering what to expect. I will also post my experiences as they unfold, if appropriate. Thanks!