View Single Post
Old 11-15-12, 10:40 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Route 66

How many 50+ posters live on or near this famous old route from California to Illinois.

We're in Oklahoma today, and we've followed a bit of the old 66, and stopped off in Elk City to have a look at the museum there.

And I was impressed, not so much by the display, but by a neat 10-minute video production on the history of the car in North America, its role in opening up the country, and the development, significant contribution, and ultimate demise of Route 66.

One of the best parts about the production was the heavy emphasis it placed early in the piece on bicycles and how they gave unheralded mobility when they were invented and became popular.

The display also had several original Schwinn bicycles in the Route 66 part of the museum.

I thought, well done, and great to see bicycles incorporated into what could have been a very car-centric production.

Have any of you driven or ridden the original Route 66, either part of, or all the way between the two start-finish points? What are you fondest memories?

Certainly, I am thinking this would be a worthwhile cycling route to follow sometime into the future. Is that a realistic bucket-list deal?