Old 11-16-12, 09:52 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last year, my quarter-century old custom tandem broke (sheared off the stoker seat tube at the bottom bracket). Since I had just waited over a year for the original builder to replace the forks (he chose to bore the head tube out to accept a 1 1/8 inch threadless steerer, but had to build what he needed to do this), I went looking for someone else to repair my faithful old steed. Some folks in the tandem subforum advised me to check into R+E. They did an awesome job on the repair and did some modifications that made it a better bike than it had been, all for something like $400.

I was so impressed with them that I decided to have them build our new tandem. The owner, Dan Towle, spent a lot of time bringing me up to speed on what they could/would do. We're not the easiest couple to design a tandem for; I ride stoker (6'2", 190 lbs) and my wife rides captain (5'6", 125 lbs). Most folks put the large male in the front and the smaller female in the rear. Dan was totally unfazed by this and easily designed a bike that would work for us and would also allow us to switch places. Everyone in the shop seemed to really know their stuff, especially regarding fit issues and the basement where the frames are built is definitely worth touring. Those guys are just plain clever.

As icing on the cake, we picked up the bike two days before STP, when every bike shop in Seattle is turning away business because of the mobs of cyclists with last-minute issues. Dan and the staff spent four hours working with us getting everything just perfect so that we wouldn't have any issues on our 380-mile ride home. We even changed out the captain's handlebars, at Dan's recommendation, for some very nice carbon fiber bars that my wife just loves (she was starting to have some hand issues and she mentioned them to Dan; hand issues disappeared immediately).

So, I guess I have an opinion on R+E. I like everything about them and will have them build my next bike as well.