Old 11-19-12, 03:31 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Forester
You claim that what I assert to be facts are not facts at all. If that is so, then it ought to be easy to disprove them, which you have not done. You assert that, for some reasons including my supposed immaturity, I fail to conduct a reasonable discussion. Considering what has been written, I consider that my responses have been both factual and reasonable.

I claim that vehicular cycling is the best way for cyclists to operate on the American road system. I also assert, although this is only a far peripheral issue when considering the best way for cyclists to operate, that there are good reasons why American cities have developed in the way that they have. It appears that your objection to my stances on these issues is that you don't like them, even though you have nothing better to offer. Even more so, your objection is really based on the fact that vehicular cycling does not appeal to those of the general public who might, somehow, be persuaded to switch trips from motor to bicycle transport. Well, that's the factual bind in which your hopes must operate.

If a program of research, design, test, successful results, and start of implementation shows that some different system will produce safe, convenient, and popular cycling, then I will be all for it. But America has not even started the research phase of such a program. All that we have produced recently are further dumbed-down facility designs with the hope that something good might result.
(Emphasis added, jcr)
John,

These two photos are not from The Netherlands; they are from Oregon Health and Science University's Center for Health and Healing, in south Portland, Oregon. The first shows the bicycle area, but doesn't show the bicycles locked next to the building, which number about the same as is shown here. The second photo shows the brand new Gibbs Street Pedestrian/bicycle Bridge over Interstate 5's six lanes of freeway. This pedestrian bridge allows people to access the OHSU buildings on the east side of the I-5 Freeway without having to go on existing bridges/roadways that are for access to the freeway or areas around the freeway. The tram goes up to the top of Marquam Hill ("Pill Hill," where OHSU has its main buildings), allowing people access from the bottom of hill without having to drive to the top, and they can take their bikes too. An elevator is provided for those who want to take their bikes up to the top of the pedestrian bridge. Where the roadway ties into the tram and pedestrian bridge, there is also a street car track.
-------

Not shown is the separated bike paths that follow roadways to the OHSU buildings, and the bike lanes that promote access. They connect to the bikeways that cross the Willamette River, and the Waterfront Park areas. The shack shown in the bicycle parking area is manned with bicycle technicians who can fix and repair bicycles on-site.

I took my bicycle to get to my doctor's appointment from Beaverton to downtown Portland in September onto the MAX train, then got off in the center of Portland and rode the bike paths (mostly) to OHSU's Center for Health and Healing to get some skin cancer removed from my leg (lots of sun in early years). It was an easy commute, and rather fun, and I did not have to drive Highway 26 through the tunnel at peak traffic times.

Since this is now being demonstrated in the USA as attracting bicycle usage by the people who work and go to the OHSU Center for Health and Healing, I hope that you will take a good look and perhaps change a bit of your mind on this.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
OHSU Bike Storage.jpg (102.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by John C. Ratliff; 11-19-12 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add more material.