Old 11-20-12, 06:55 PM
Speedwagon98

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Just a quick $.02. Here the police will flat refuse to make a report if there were no injuries or damages. I think in the cases of minor collisions, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it's a little silly to call the police over something like a door ding. In the digital age, it isn't at all hard to either have a camera on your person, or a cheap digital or even disposable film camera in your car, if your a Luddite. Lots of pictures can be just as good, maybe even better than a police report. Snap pics of everything, and I think your sufficiently covered. Now, in the case of OP, it might or might not be warranted... I just wanted to point out it's easy to say "call the cops always, always, always", but this isn't always really practical in the real world. Sometimes it really is a non-event, and just some pictures to cover you in case is probably sufficient without wasting everybody's time. As I said, at least here, good luck getting the cops to come out over a nothing deal. Just snap pics and be done with it.

As to charges, I'd really doubt if any charges are going to be pressed, which it sounds like was your main concern. They may try to collect damages and are getting the police report for that. That will probably deal with your insurance. Worst case, it would probably be small claims. I'd doubt anything bigger than that. The no police report thing goes both ways.
Yes, the police weren't called because it was believed there were no injuries. The kid insisted he was fine, and walked off. This is the primary reason the police were not called at the time. And the damage was rather small, all things considered. At the time, the kid(obviously according to what I heard) was sounding like he believed he was at fault, asking repeatedly if her car was ok. And being a mother, she was far more concerned with the kid being ok than her car.

Also, I appreciate all the information. It's good to get perspective on things sometimes.