Thread: Tinning cables?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-12, 01:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
A frayed cable in my experience has always been the result of a missing crimp or broken strands. Its usually possible to take off a crimp just with needle nose pliers, or if the cable is still long enough - to simply cut it. I'm finding the biggest issue that makes cable reuse difficult is the deformation that takes place at the clamping screw where its also common to find broken strands. Solder or crazy glue or shrink tubing or torch cutting won't solve that problem. Cables are so inexpensive and crimps do a good job so I didn't personally think it worth the extra effort.
I agree that going to great lengths to avoid crimps on wires isn't warranted for every day use. However, for those who tour and there need maximum field serviceability (because compost happens) soldering makes for a wire that can be pulled, and replaced if necessary.

On my old touring bike, the derailleur wires are run through open guides above the bottom bracket. That allows me to slacken and slip the wire free if, for example I needed to remove the handle bar.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.