Old 11-28-12, 11:20 AM
maidenfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pug
Your routine is really comprehensive and impressive. It's also pretty intense. You may be pleasantly surprised by some strength gain from resting for a week. How old are you?

The only thing I pause at is the volume you're doing on the Cybex squat press. Reasons:

- You're already doing a lot of leg work on the bike and other days in the gym;
- 3-5 rep max means you're moving a whole lot of weight
- If you happen to be age 30-35+ doing really heavy lifts on equipment that limits your range of motion can cause problems.

I've seen people in the gym using these machines and based on what I've seen I wonder if it could be contributing more to your hip problem than the bike.

Good luck!
Ill be 43 next month. I've been a weightlifter most of my life and a cyclist for only a few years. I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what your saying about the weights doing more harm than good. I'm thinking that adding strength via sprint intervals on the bike will do much more for my legs than adding strength (and mass) via squatting. Personally, I think my training program is designed around my need to exercise, not to complete a goal.

Right now the only thing I'm going to do is swim w a pull buoy and get a light yoga class in (after a few more days).