Old 12-02-12, 12:17 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starjag
I would like to outfit my rigid MTB for Winter riding in Southern Ontario.

I am looking for 26" knobby tires at least 1.35-2" wide (not many options in 26") and fenders. I might consider studded tires later on.

What about brake pads and other items I might be overlooking? Thanks!
That should make a great winter bike. Check the wheels and make sure that they are aluminum wheels and not the old steel wheels. Steel wheels will not stop when wet. Aluminum wheels are much better in this regard. If it's mostly below freezing when you ride you can get by without fenders. If it's a lot of slush and wet roads you will need fenders. I like a rear rack on a winter bike because you will need to carry more stuff in the cold and the rear rack can be rigged as a rear fender with lots of clearance. The full coverage type of fenders work best in wet conditions but often don't give enough clearance for snow and slushy conditions.

I would advice Stopflats2 tire liners for a winter bike since they are light and will help reduce flats. Which are a real pain to fix in the cold. I would look for a wide easy rolling rear tire with small knobbies at first. That will work in a wide range of conditions. Something that's like what's already on the front.