View Single Post
Old 12-03-12, 09:18 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The Kenda Small Block 8 should last 1000 to 2000 miles on the rear. The center knobs will begin to show wear at about 500 miles and will become worn down at about 1000 miles.

You could keep the front tire on for 2000 to 2500 miles, it will wear more slowly.

Changing to a smoother tire, like the Vittoria Hyper, on the back first will provide a number of benefits. Most of the rolling resistance is created by the back tire: it carries more weight and needs to transmit power. The new tire (if taken from my list) will also be far more flat resistant than the Kenda, which will begin to flat more easily, once the center knobs are worn thin.

Keeping a Small Block 8 on the front while using a new tire on the back should not cause any performance problems and should work very well on gravel.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-04-12 at 06:58 PM.