Old 12-03-12, 10:16 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Yes, there is a difference... But I prefer to avoid BOTH of them.

But, the failing to unclip problem can just as easily be caused by a sudden, unexpected event where you simply don't have time to unclip as it does a "brain fart". Out on a back country road those unexpected events happen seldom. On a trail crowded with walkers, joggers, strollers, children, skate boarders, inline skaters, other bicyclists, dogs, squirrels and such -- all going different directions -- you need to expect the unexpected.

I think it is less a matter of personal choice than it is a question of what best fits the needs of the rider as well as the environment he/she is riding in.
A lot of riding skill involved here also. I am able to ride as slow as 1.5 mph and still stay clipped in if the situation warrants. OTOH, I am the first person to unclip at least one foot if my reading of the situation indicates any potential danger - ANY small kids, dogs - loose or not - family riding in a bicycle "parade," folks walking with ear plugs (if I can tell) who don't indicate by their change of pace or location on the trail that they hear my bell or my shouting, sand on the trail, etc.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-03-12 at 10:21 AM.