View Single Post
Old 12-04-12, 06:33 PM
nerys

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"As you all can read, Bek supports and advocates the view of the motoring establishment that cyclists ought to be bound by the cyclist-discriminatory laws that apply to cyclists alone, whereas many of us believe, and advocate, that cyclists ought to be bound only by the laws that apply equally, without discrimination, to all drivers of vehicles. "

I can't agree with this. to say only laws that apply equally to all drivers of vehicles presumes all vehicles are equal. they are not.

If you think a bicycle is the equal of a 4000 pound car your not going to last very long.

JUST LIKE if you think your 4000 pound car is the equal of an 80,000 pound semi YOU ALSO will not last long.

There are different rules for TRUCKS because they are NOT EQUAL to CARS. SO therefore I see no problem with different (but fair) rules for bicycles.

it is UNLAWFUL for me to ride my bicycle on the AC Expressway. this is not discrimination. this is to keep MORONS from operating a vehicle "flat out unsafe" on such a roadway. Period.

NOW if there is no "reasonable" alternative path between two points it should be lawful to use that roadway in a safe manner and the road way should be designed accordingly.

a tyical consumer bicycle is capable of max sustained 15mph for the average person and not for very long. even SKILLEd riders can go much faster than 20mph sustained for any serious timespan with "seriously" trained and equipped riders (rare) able to go 25+ sustained.

I would say its reasonable to call bicycles equal to around 30-35mph. over 35mph they are FAR from equal and different rules can and should apply (as long as they are FAIR) over 35mph the closing velocity potentials create a danger by their very existence.

The only time you should take the lane is when it is UNSAFE not too and when that is the case YOU CAN AND SHOULD take the lane.

if the law disagrees with this the law is wrong. its that simple and it needs to be changed.

Everywhere I ride so far the law "jives" with this concept.

Riding on a highway and taking a lane IS dangerous. at 55mph with you doing 20mph that is a closing velocity of 35mph !! 45-50mph is most cases since on most highways people will actually be doing 60-65+mph

at that closing velocity your reaction time is dramatically reduces when you encounter an "unexpectedly" slow vehicle.

this is why many highways have a minimum speed you must comply with and or a requirement to engage your flashers if your going slower than that minimum. SO OTHERS have the reaction time expectation they assume.