Old 12-08-12, 10:35 AM
Economista25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to touring and almost to cycling - Need advice

Hello folks:

Before I start, I would like to say that this is a wonderful forum and the quality of the information you get to find here is outstanding. After 25 years without riding a bike, I purchased 2 bicycles this year. One of them is a Trek X-Caliber mountain bike and the other a Dahon Formula 18 folder. The reason I purchased the Dahon has to do with my intention of doing some bicycle touring abroad. I would like to do a bike tour in Italy or Spain, and one in the Pacific Northwest. For this, I already started saving with the intention of doing the first tour around May or June of 2013.

I would like to ask your advice on internet sites or books I could consult for someone who will be doing touring for the first time. My idea is to spend 7 to 10 days in one of the locations mentioned above and just explore some of the roads, parks and even travel between cities, but always staying at hotels and the intention is not to carry anything with me when riding the bike. This will mean planning a route were i could start riding in the morning and then return in the afternoon or early evening to the same place I started the ride. perhaps this is not considered real touring, but Im sure that I could benefit from some expert advice from the folks in the forum who has done this in the past. My preference would be to tour Italy and wherever i might end up, i would be using my Dahon folder bike. The idea also is to select routes that doesnt have too many hills or climbs.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice I could get from the forum.