Old 12-08-12, 11:26 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have toured in Europe staying in hostels, pensiones, economy hotels and camping (not cooking). They all have their advantages in terms of luggage, comfort, economy and local colour.
I usually move from one location to another but sometimes stay 2 nights in one place.
Many times I set off without a clear idea of where I will end up, just a general direction. If you are riding out of the main season (ie in May/June and Sept) then you have much more freedom to wing it.
Route-planning is something I do the evening before and during the day. The idea of setting out on a 10 day tour, knowing your exact route is a bit strange. I might have a particular scenic road or town or something that i want to see and you have to account for pinch points such as river crossings and mountain passes but the rest is just the luck of the road.
You cant avoid hills in Europe unless you ride the North Sea coastal route. Most tourists find that big mountains and hilly terrain is much more fun than riding all day on the flat.
It is often possible to take touring bikes on local trains but a folding bike opens up local bus routes as well. Many folding tourists use a light backpack (35-45l) as their luggage and strap in to the rear rack when riding.