View Single Post
Old 12-12-12, 06:28 PM
skye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Weak sauce, dude. Posting a football helmet study in a bike forum is nonsense. Whether on not football helmets protect the skull or brain is completely irrelevant to the bike helmet discussion. Don't pretend that it is in any way pertinent, like you continue to do.

The distinction between injury to skull/scalp and TBI has been made, frequently, in this very thread, regarding bicycle helmets.

But hey, anyone can post what they want regardless of actual relevance to the thread at hand, so knock yourself out. To that end, I'll go right along in agreeing that there could very well be a correlation between skateboarding and bicycling regarding helmets and the fact that helmets may actually reduce instances of TBI in a crash by mitigating rotational axonal injury.
Try reading my previous response to you. What I thought was interesting was the way they segmented the types of injury. My intent was absolutely not to claim that this study's results had any pertinence to cycle helmet statistics. But, as I said before, what was interesting was how they seperated two types of head injury: skull injury and TBI.

All too often, people like you, either through stupidity or intentional obfuscation conflate those two. Like the idiot who just plugged in with the latest OMIGOD MY HELMET SAFED MY LIEF!! story. He took a knock on the noggin which didn't cause loss of consciousness and didn't even cause any concussion, yet if he hadn't been wearing his helmet, he would have been dead or eating out of a straw the rest of his life.

Besides being death-defyingly stupid, what that post highlighted was the all-too-common mixing of skull injury with TBI. Thus my post to try to show the difference between the two.

But you're so tied up in defending your point of view, even though it is supported by frighteningly little research, that all you can do is try and twist things around until they stop causing you cognitive dissonance. Don't worry, when you grow up enough to be able to objectively analyze the research, it will be all there waiting for you.