Old 12-17-12, 05:15 PM
UncleRiotous

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX (disc), Specialized FSR Ground Control 1998, Carrera Vulcan 2006, Raleigh road bike (early 80s), Specialized Hardrock (rigid 90s currently off the road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowride454
I have a few technique questions as well. I'm still learning the lingo here. Manual = Wheelie?

I have a serious bravery problem. When I was younger I was fearless, now a wife and son make me a little more cautious. I know confidence will come with time in the saddle, but what other things can I try in a "safe" environment? I've hit a few trees this season and did a spectacular OTB on a wet, greasy downhill. Both have slowed my bravery process. I recently did a XC race, I got passed by everyone. My fitness level and strength were not the problem(although I am still fat and weak). My bike handling and bravery were my problem. All of the old timers, other clydes, and women passed me pretty handily or pushed me hard in the single track until I screwed up and let them pass.

Also I have a tendency to lock my rear brake and drag the rear tire down hills with roots and such, to keep the front end working. Is there a better way to control speed without resorting to rear brake lockup?
Wheelie is when you're pedalling, manual is when you're just balancing.

On the whole bravery thing I'm with you, I'm 41 years old, spent most of my life as a couch potato and don't like crashing at all. I think the key is to be able to relax, you'll ride better when you're relaxed. If you can't relax then the chances are you're either riding stuff that's too steep/technical or you're riding it too fast. I ride with a mate most of the time and he's very, very fast (pain in the rear end, he used to smoke and was always fitter than me and seems to live a charmed life, never crashes no matter how fast he hits stuff and when he does he just gets off the bike in mid air and finds somewhere soft to land) so I used to try to keep up with him or ride up front and be aware that he was all over me. Now he waits for me at the bottom of the downhills and as a result of letting myself go slower I'm getting faster and faster as I get more relaxed and don't push myself so hard.

Oh the other thing is making sure that you're looking a long way down the trail and not at whatever is in front of you. You almost can't be looking far enough ahead. A lot of less confident riders track an obstacle all the way to the front wheel, then when they're over it they look up to find there is another one right in front of them. If I'm having a bad ride and I'm all over the place the first thing I do is tell myself to look further ahead.

As far as braking is concerned even with the rear brake on your front shock will be compressed and the geometry of the bike will suck. Again part of this might be riding stuff that is too steep for you but it's most likely to be down to not looking far enough ahead and not picking your entry speed into a section. If you know the trail brake harder than you would before a steep bit, then get off the brakes as you get ride through it and as soon as you get to the next smooth bit slow right down again using both brakes. You'll find that you don't need to be that slow during the steep and rough stuff half as much as you think if you're off the brakes.