View Single Post
Old 12-18-12, 01:51 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
As a longtime Bridgestone RB-1 rider, a charter member of BOB and an early subscriber to the Rivendell Reader, I have been aware of, a fan of and in some ways influenced by Grant Petersen for more than two decades. I learned much about casual riding, relaxed positioning, leather saddles and obsolete yet superbly functional components from him. My Casseroll remains my most "Bobish" bike and I often ride it in whatever clothing I happen to be wearing, but most of my riding is on more modern bikes with more advanced components and done while wearing more activity specific attire. I have just found that to be what I mostly enjoy and what works best for me while I'm doing it. I found the book refreshing, amusing and interesting, but at times I was put off by Grant's tone. Sometimes he seems to be suggesting that the way he rides is superior while I see it as just another variety. But then, they didn't coin the term "retrogrouch" to describe him for nothing.