Old 12-21-12, 11:19 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by k_randomfactor
I'm getting a build list together for my recent Trek 830 purchase. Decided to bite the bullet and and just build the darn thing, so I'll have options. End goal is a loaded tourer and budget expedition bike. I'm not super happy with the groupset that's on it (Acera/Alivio), and will be replacing it with Deore/LX components, so it's not a high budget build. Money is, as always, an issue, but I'm willing to pay a little more for quality, even if it takes a little longer to get it right. Asking for suggestions regarding rims, shifters, and brakes/levers. I'll be putting on a Nashbar trekking bar, and ditching the flat bar that's on it. -Looking for black 36h rims to replace the (slightly) worn Alessa rims that are on it. Definitely looking for black, but that and 36h are about as far as my knowledge goes. The bike came with Schwalbe Marathons 1.5", and I'd like to use those, as well as having the capability to run wider tires with more tread and knobbies for dirt/trail. -Shifters... the bike currently has Grip Shifts, and I'm not convinced. I'd like to upgrade to friction shift, and would prefer thumb shifting. I guess I could do barcons, but not sure how well they would work on the ends of a trekking bar? I've used Shimano trigger? shifters, so that's what I'm used to and am comfortable with. Planning on a 9spd cassette, prolly 11-34.

-Considering going with V-brakes vice the Shimano cantis that are on it, so I'll need (I think) V-brake compatible brake levers. Brakes, and compatibility, still seem like voodoo to me. I've read the Sheldon Brown articles, but am still not 100% on the pros and cons.

Also, does anyone make a threaded stem adapter that allows one to use modern, threadless, stems? Seems like that would make it easier to dial in the fit, reach, height, etc. I think I remember seeing one in my hours of searching, but I didn't bookmark the page and can't find it again.

I searched for all these questions, but my weaksauce search-fu either found too much info, none of which was exactly what I was looking for, or not much at all. As always, thanks for any and all assistance folks.
Given the long list of things you feel you must change for some reason (most of which I find as mostly nonsense) or the other to make the bike right for you to tour with... I have to ask you why did you buy it to start with?