View Single Post
Old 12-22-12, 07:53 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Are there any rowers here?

Machka and I have taken out a month-long membership of a fitness centre here on the eastern outskirts of Vancouver as we wait to head back to Australia. The weather, as in other parts of North America, has been icy, to say the least, so cycling isn't really been on our agenda at the moment (yeah, we've gone a bit soft).

Part of the reason is to get our fitness back up to some semblance of good after our travels and before we get back into the work harness, possibly in the agricultural sector.

I've been concentrating on cardio and today did 15 minutes on the spin bike at a steady pace (no intervals), 15 minutes on the rowing machine, 15 minutes running on the treadmill, and 15 minutes doing 8x25m laps of the pool, followed by 10 minutes lazing about in the swirl pool to "recover".

I rowed way back when I was at school in a lightweight four which culminated in our winning the Head of the River for our state and our class. I've also puddled about in dinghies as yacht tenders over the years. I love it.

We have a light fibreglass kayak at home that seems eminently suitable for conversion to a single scull. Rowing is probaby more akin to cycling than my other favourite pastime, sailing, because the rower is the boat's power. Plus, unlike the canoe, speed can be of the essence, especially when the boat ups and runs with that bubbling sound from underneath it.

So the rowing machine has rekindled that desire, which is a good thing. And my form, I think, is still pretty good.

Do any other people here row, or have rowed as an adjunct to their cycling, or just for the fun of it. Competitive rowing doesn't really interest me (because I am inherently lazy with the training side of things), and we do the occasional paddle with our canoe.

I am interested in type of boat, distances, how much fun it is, any advice on a kayak conversion, and so on. Oh, and how has it meshed with any training on a bike -- has it improved upper body strength and/or endurance, for instance?

Last edited by Rowan; 12-22-12 at 07:56 PM.