Old 12-25-12, 02:48 PM
xlDooM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
I used MKS detachable pedals on my Birdy, these are the rat-trap versions to which I can mount clips and straps. The drawbacks to the detachable pedals is that sometimes they come off if you don't have the QR collar fully seated. Another problem is that anything which is frequently removed from your bike is something which can easily be forgotten or lost.

I eventually found that my bike fit in it's carry bag with the pedals detached, so I thought "why bother?". I installed a set of Shimano XTR SPD pedals and simply leave them on. The bike folds properly, fits in the bag, and the pedals don't poke me any more than the other protruding bits.

I don't like to ride with pedals that I can't affix to my shoes. Riding without cleated, clipless pedals, or clips and straps is less efficient, and allows me to use half the muscles in my legs. I don't know of any folding pedals to which cleats, clips, or straps can be attached, so they are not an option for me.

Of course, when riding with clipless pedals, or clips and straps, slippage is generally not an issue, but it does limit your option for shoes somewhat.
There's a hot topic in the mountain biking subforum right now that you might want to read if you think you only use half your muscles on a platform pedal:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-back-to-flats