Old 12-27-12, 11:45 AM
Tavish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post
PM me for more info, but if UofO is a legitimate contender, meaning the program is as good as the others, I'd put that at the top of my list. I did a one year postdoc at the university in Eugene, and the road cycling, cost of living, culture, and town are hard to beat. It takes 5 minutes to get onto empty country roads from campus or downtown, and racing in OBRA is pretty good. You'll have races every weekend, and 3-4 big stage races within a 3 hour drive. There's also some good hiking and climbing near town, but you had better be prepared to ride in the rain. The winter I was there was exceptionally wet (not just coming from my east coast background either). It rained October through June.

Hiking the cascades is nice, get Bill Sullivan's book at the library before making your choice. Washington is in the middle of Seattle and is expensive, but has better skiing nearby, and the water, if you want that.
I live in seattle too, I love eugene the town is amazing and the culture around sports is great. They also have a solid racing scene with a cpl of crits and a stage race. However I also love seattle. UW and UO would be good places to live