Old 12-28-12, 01:21 AM
StephenT 

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Comp SL2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm sitting here watching the something or other bowl and saw an ad for "getaroundknee.com", brand name Stryker. Something about a round motion instead of oval. I looked up their doctor list and none of them are familiar to me and there weren't that many in the LA area, which got me wondering.

Has anybody heard of these things? The ads are quite amusing.

Has anybody ever gone to a doctor with a particular appliance in mind?

Obviously medical advertising (specifically Big Pharma) is nothing new and is intended to get the patient requesting particular care from his doctor.

Neil, if you see this - did your doctor give you any options on what kind of knee to install?
My $0.02

People considering joint replacement should worry less about the type of implant and more about the who is putting it in along with a detailed plan for success to include how to prepare for surgery, what to expect after surgery, PT plans and goals to obtain. A joint replacement is a commitment that will have tremendous long term benefits if all done correctly.

My surgeon told me what implants he uses, why and even some reasons not to use certain implant types. He even told me the reasons to use a particular brand/model over other models in my situation. I felt I got straight and honest answers from him and his associate.

My knee replacement was done Oct 27, 2011 at UCLA. I did PT for 4 months (3 x week with exercises at home everyday) and was cleared for cycling in March 2012. Did my first Century ride in June and have not looked back. Im down 40+ pounds since March and about to drop below the official C/A barrier.