Old 12-28-12, 09:59 PM
neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
hey i can relate

I agree with you completely.. though the type of people you describe would probably be fine on a flat bar bike too. Unfortunately the work, time and money involved in finding the right combo of frame/stem/bar/front brake cable stop (if running cantis) is a big obstacle for the average person. I think that's kind of why these kind of bikes remain a kind of "mechanics special" type bike.. in a funny way it's paying homage to the klunkers of old, re-purposing frames and combining components from different disciplines to make something new.
+1 to wrk101's great comment to the value of these builds... excellent bang for the buck!

+1 to frantik's reply regarding paying homage to the klunkers of old and "mechanics special" builds

Both are very well thought out and and I thoroughly agree with both of you! Plus, I'm a little jealous right now... my buddy just picked up a Cimarron frame for $25.00! He commented when he saw me sanding mine the other day that a nice high-end older mountain bike would make a great commuter, so he ran out and found one for a killer price! I told him all about this thread and all the cool innovative builds, he checked it out last night and said this thread inspired him to jump to action!