Old 12-29-12, 10:45 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by nashvillwill
Maybe I wasn't very clear. I'm not talking about the drivetrain. I'm talking about cables and hubs and frame parts and whatnot. Any suggestions there?
It was clear to me, it looked like they were responding to the wrong question.

The only thing I do on a regular basis is the derailleur, cogs and chainrings. While you do the chain, these parts accumulate a lot of crud. I don't do cables unless they start getting stuck, in which case I replace them. Hubs and BBs only need to be done if they are loose ball bearings, and I wouldn't do that without a quick lesson on the proper way to open them up and more importantly put them back together and properly adjust them.

Take a rag to the cogs, working it between them. Use a toothbrush for the hard to reach areas. Some of us use citrus cleaner, some use mineral spirits. There are bike specific cleaners too from Pedros and Finish Line. Use whatever you feel comfortable with. Let everything dry thoroughly.

Really the thing that gets the most dirty are the derailleur pulley wheels. Take the chain off and thoroughly clean them including inside the roller bearing. Apply waterproof grease to the bearing when putting it back together. Every time you do the chain give the pulleys a wipe.

I clean the frame with a damp cloth or paper towels making sure not to grind the dirt into the paint, and dry it off. I wipe my caliper brakes down also. If you are mountain biking through mud you can use a garden hose to wash the whole thing off and then dry. That sounds drastic but clean water is a lot better than the dirty water it's already been through. Just don't force the water into the bearings.

Last edited by zacster; 12-29-12 at 10:49 AM.