View Single Post
Old 12-30-12, 09:53 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
just get a real set of wrenches
multitools are for roadside emergency use at best and are too short to get propor torque for bike assembly
using a torx bit where it shouldnt be runs the risk of stripping the bolt...you know how tight the seat was on initially? thats how tight you should put it before riding; get the right hex key for doing this ....

suspect seatpost is going to be the least of adjustments needed -there's a reason bikes at the LBS cost more than from a box; and it's worth it
First you say the bike WAS properly assembled from the box ("you know how tight the seat was on initially? thats how tight you should put it before riding") and then you say it needed adjustment because it's from a bad bad internet store, which is it?

In fact I checked everything else over and am mightily impressed with the quality of assembly:
-Truest wheels I've ever seen...I could not even see daylight between the rim and brake shoes, yet they did not rub.
-Front hub bearing just glides and glides, so it's perfectly adjusted.
-Headset I adjusted to perfection myself when I installed the handlebars.
-Installed pedals myself and regreased all bolts.
-Granted I have no way of checking the bottom-bracket and cranks without reinstalling them, but they're pretty hard to mess up so I'm sure they're fine (and certainly not worth paying the extra cost at the LBS just for that).
So the only thing I have left to check is the internally geared hub in the rear...which I guarantee any LBS I've ever set foot in in my entire life would screw up big time. I know because I often quiz the LBSes I visit on their hub gear knowledge and most don't even know how to properly use an internal gear hub, much less adjust one!

Besides, no LBS I know sells frames made of genuine Reynolds 520 double butted tubing like this one...so what do you expect me to do? Pay twice as much for a hi-tensile peace of junk "because the adjustments [which either aren't needed or they don't know how to do] is worth it"? When I hit my bike with my fingernail it sings like a churchbell...and you want me to buy the crap they sell at the LBS? Not if my life depended on it.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Multitools suck for the most part; I just carry the few sizes of L-wrenches my bikes require. They work better and I suspect that they are lighter than the rough-equivalent multitool. Trying to install a bottle cage, for instance, with a multitool is exquisite torture.
Yeah I'm thinking this will be my last multitool because every multitool I've ever owned has had not enough of the tools I need and too many of the tools I don't need...and I agree that it sucks even though it's probably heavier than just having the individual tools.

Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 Multitools are for take-along, emergency repairs only. They should really be limited to this use and proper shop quality tools used where ever possible. Also agree that even good hex keys are limited lifetime tools, particularly the small ones like 4 mm and smaller. I'll extend their useful life by cutting off the worn tip with a Dremel and a cut off wheel but that just buys a bit more time.
Hmph...and how am I supposed to make an emergency repair if I can't untorque the bolt after torquing it with a proper shop tool? Sorry, but I think it's foolish to assemble the bike with anything other than the same tools I'd use to fix it on the road. Which is another reason why I'm glad I didn't have this assembled at the LBS because they'd overtorque everything so that when I finally did have to do an emergency repair I'd be screwed.

Last edited by chucky; 12-30-12 at 10:01 AM.