Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldF
Obviously, any of you out there that spent $1,000+ on a luxurious, unnecessarily lightweight racing bike would never lock your bike up outdoors overnight. This post is geared more towards those with a utility bicycle used for quick errands to destinations generally 0.5 to 3 miles away. Having a bike locked up in front of your doorstep is a HUGE convenience for anyone who'd otherwise have to carry the bike up steps.

This is totally hypothetical, but I really do think that if bikes weighed as much in the US as they do in Denmark, cycling numbers would skyrocket in US cities. Basements and garages thwart all attempts to lure in would-be riders.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure where to begin with this thread, but I'll start here because some of my other comments have been mentioned. A +1 to jputnam, for example ...

-- $1000 buys you an entry level road bike. Hardly "a luxurious, unnecessarily lightweight racing bike" ... try tripling that price and you'll be on the doorstep.

-- I hardly think that adding weight to a bicycle with cause the number of cyclists in the US to skyrocket. The weight of the bicycles in Denmark, and other European areas, isn't the reason why there are more people on bicycles there. Go ... spend a few months in Europe. You'll see.