Old 01-03-13, 10:27 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If all bikes were 60 lbs, I'd probably quit cycling.
+1

In reality it more than likely isn't the bike but rather the amount of infrastructure that will cause a greater increase, if ever, in the US.
I think, and it is only my opinion many people and newer riders need to spend a bit more time looking at the history of bicycles in the US and see if we were even exposed to Heavy bikes like they now see pictures in Europe, Holland and Denmark. Look at some of the bikes that were made by Columbia, Schwinn and Western Flyers by western Auto. Then ask those of us who rode and owned some of them how we feel that they stack up to even an average commuter bike offered by Giant, Trek, Jamis, Specialized or many others. Some of us remember those old bikes and wouldn't trade on of our new Hybrids, touring, race, MTB or even Beach Cruisers for one.

It isn't the difference between the bikes it is the difference between the people of the different nations. One is not better than the other they are different. I can remember when Davis California was a bike Mecca and when it had the infrastructure and support that made it that way. But even there cycling is falling off a bit even with the infrastructure. It is my opinion if we had more bikes like the Dutch Bikes we would have even fewer riders than we do today. If the best State in the Union according to the League of American Bicyclists is DC with 3.13 percent and the worst state is Arkansas at .06 percent I don't think we can afford the bet on 50 to 70 pound bikes as a solution.