Old 01-05-13, 03:13 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
seems normal...

I think a lot of people don't understand the whole base layer thing but I'll get to that in a minute because I don't understand why you'd use a compression shirt. Compression socks are commonly used and they help squeeze the leg and promote return of blood because veins don't return blood well unless muscles squeeze them which doesn't happen while sitting. I'm not sure how that would apply to the torso. That question aside...
If you exercise hard you will sweat. Period. That sweat won't magically evaporate from your torso. It comes out as water and the question is where does it go. A base layer will allow it to pass through without absorbing it if it's' not cotton or wool. Cotton will just hold it next to your skin. Wool will wick it but it won't evaporate from the wool. Synthetics will pass it through without absorbing it. Some synthetics will help wick it from the skin but if you're working hard they can become pretty well saturated...but they'll allow it to evaporate as much as possible.
You can keep enough layers on top of the base to stay warm and eventually the moisture will evaporate out due to your body heat but if you keep that warm you'll be continuing to sweat. I promise that mountain climbers that are working hard are sweating. So are skiers...but they are working hard enough to keep warm and you find a balance between the sweat being evaporated and your work load and layers.
Just yesterday, riding at +5F I was talking with my wife about this and how I had a really good balance...I was just a bit chilly and could feel my entire torso being cool from my sweat evaporating. We each have windproof fronts but a more open weave on our jacket backs to allow sweat to pass. You should feel cool....your sweat should be evaporating...and passing through your base layer. A lot of people like wool over the base synthetic because it wicks the moisture and does contribute to you staying warmer and being more comfortable. Even wool next to the skin can help in that way but eventually wool becomes soaked and it does not dry out easily. It's good for limited time periods in my opinion.
You might try a layer of good wool (thin) over your base layer but basically you are going to sweat and it's got to pass through your base layer somehow. Some base layers wick better than others so you might try some other base layers but there is no total cure for the phenomena of being sweaty to some degree. The big thing is to find a balance between layers and sweat so it doesn't continue to just accumulate like it will with cotton.
When it's really cold and we bike long my wife and I will occasionally have to stop and brush the "snow" off each others backs that has accumulated from our sweat and yeah...we'll be sweaty underneath to some degree.
Originally Posted by Sasquatch16 View Post
I usually wear a UA compression cold gear shirt as my first layer. No matter how cold it is I am always wet between skin and shirt. Then any light breeze gives a chill. Is it not cold enough to be wearing this shirt? Should I be wearing something else against skin. I have noticed when just sitting still like in a tree stand hunting I do not encounter this. It is almost like wearing a wet suit.